Captain's Log

Latest news and views from your Captain

Name:
Location: Prudhoe, Northumberland, United Kingdom

After many years in accounting & corporate finance, I became head of internal & external communications in a publicly quoted financial software business operating in the UK, USA and Australia. In 2001, after 13 years there, I branched out on my own to teach music and use my commercial writing & PR skills. Today, I give hundreds of music lessons a year to pupils ranging in age from 5 to 75. When I'm not teaching or playing music, I write for companies & the media, cook Italian food, study the Italian language, work with local schools and play golf at Prudhoe Golf Club - The Home of Champions.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Father & Son/Adult & Junior Competition
The Father & Son competition has been around for years and, last year, I tried to extend it by adding Adult & Junior combinations. After all, Father & Son is a bit non PC as it excludes any female competitors. I also wanted the competition to embrace EVERY member.

However, the result was not that successful although the turnout was a little larger than previous years. Afterwards, some said that the foursomes format was not popular. I can understand that as it can be very difficult for high handicap juniors to get their heads round this format.

This year, I had a long meeting with some of my Committee colleagues and we came up with a new formula of two person Texas Scramble. This at least gives the high handicap players, especially juniors, the opportunity to be involved in playing more pleasing and useful shots!

We also clarified the entry requirements to be that anyone under the age of 21 could play with anyone over the age of 21 (both on Jan 1) and that these could be any combinations of males or females regardless of handicap. I also said that, subject to entry levels, I would donate a trophy for the Adult/Junior competitors.

Again, although the entry level increased over last year, it still wasn't large and certainly not large enough to donate a trophy. Also, one or two said that the Scramble format was not right and should have been foursomes.

Clearly, whatever we do, it does not please all of the players. But that's the way such things go.

Nevertheless, I'm not going to give up as I believe the principle to be important here. Next year I will have more time and I plan to market this event even better with the objective of being able to donate the trophy I wanted to give this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home