Captain's Log

Latest news and views from your Captain

Name:
Location: Prudhoe, Northumberland, United Kingdom

After many years in accounting & corporate finance, I became head of internal & external communications in a publicly quoted financial software business operating in the UK, USA and Australia. In 2001, after 13 years there, I branched out on my own to teach music and use my commercial writing & PR skills. Today, I give hundreds of music lessons a year to pupils ranging in age from 5 to 75. When I'm not teaching or playing music, I write for companies & the media, cook Italian food, study the Italian language, work with local schools and play golf at Prudhoe Golf Club - The Home of Champions.

Saturday, September 16, 2006


Wendy Tames The Village
I wrote and submitted the following story to the press this week:
Prudhoe ladies are enjoying a very successful year and have been boosted by Wendy Oubridge winning one of the oldest and most prestigious Northumberland County Ladies titles for the first time.

At a windy and tricky Alnmouth Village course, Wendy won the Cecil Leitch Challenge Cup, a title first played for in 1929. Her five under par score of 65 was 7 shots under the scratch score for the day and gave her a comfortable four shot victory over Margaret Gray from nearby Warkworth golf club.

This is an especially tough trophy to win as the 41 clubs in the County normally stage stroke play qualifying and then match play knock-out rounds to find their club representatives for the Challenge Cup final.

During the year, Wendy did get the odd game for the Prudhoe Ladies League Team, promoted as Division 5 Champions recently.

A delighted Wendy said, “This is my first major trophy victory and I am pleased to have won it, both for myself and the Club. Now that I am a Silver Division player, I am looking forward to helping our newly promoted League team even more next year.”

- ends –

For further information please contact:
Richard Hannam, Captain - 01661 835 588
Ian Pauw, Secretary - 01661 832 466

Notes to editors:
Prudhoe Golf Club, the Home of Champions, was established in 1930 and has developed a national reputation for the quality of its course, clubhouse, friendly welcome and its County and National Champions. When Neville Dunn won the British Boys Championship in 1951 he set a pattern followed by Janet Soulsby (British Champion, Curtis Cup and LPGA player), David Curry (Amateur Champion, Walker Cup and European Tour player) and Shaun Philipson (England player and British Mid-Amateur Champion). David’s son James is following the tradition and, along with many other players, has contributed to over 100 League, County and National titles. Prudhoe will host the 2007 Northumberland County Championship week and the 2008 Seniors County Championship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home